Monday, September 20, 2010

Oatmeal Bars


So there are these oatmeal bars that my mom made for me when I was a kid that I love to make for my family. I modified them to make them a little healthier (whole wheat flour, less sugar) and didn't think they were anything too special until I started getting requests for the recipe. Just about every time I take them to share at a get-together someone asks me for it. They are now a play-group staple and just the other day a friend gave me the idea to substitute the sugar for Agave nectar - which is how I made them today.

Knowing that I was going to be taking them to my Bible study group tomorrow (Mom's Class) I figured I might as well put the recipe on here just in case...


Oatmeal Cookie Bars

1 c. oil (or substitute 1 1/4 c. apple sauce for a fat free variation which is how I make them)
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. water
2 tsp. vanilla


2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
6 c. oats
1 c. walnuts (optional...unless you live at our house)

Combine the first set of ingredients, oil through vanilla, in large bowl. Combine second set of ingredients, flour through baking powder, in another bowl. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well, and then add oats and walnuts. Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes (or until top is beginning to brown and center isn't mushy when you lightly press down). Do not over bake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home