Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sense of Belonging

I'm so incredibly excited! Next Tuesday will be my 5th year. It was here I found a place where I belonged. Where, you might ask? At the Mom's class. Let me back up a bit. Almost five years ago my life forever changed with the birth of our first child. I had no idea how much things could change with one event, no matter how much others tried to tell me. It was absolutely wonderful having this precious one join our lives...and incredibly stretching...and exhausting...and I felt a little lost(fortunately, my hubby and I have wonderful, supportive family in town that smoothed the transition for us and were there all the time...literally). We were the first of our friends to start having kids which didn't seem like anything big, at first. By the time our little guy was 6 months old I was immersed in this world of parenting where everything I read had something to do with babies, and had lost track of how many times I had changed a diaper, and was on call 24/7. I felt kind of alone . I needed friends I could relate with emotionally, practically, and spiritually in this new season I had entered.

One of my dearest friends who I had been getting together with weekly was just getting ready to go on the mission field. As she sat across from me at one of our last get togethers she said, "You need to go to this class I've heard about. You need friends!" So I listened. And I found the Mom's class. I found Barb Tompkins, teacher of the Mom's class for 30 years now, who has become so dear to my heart. I found friends and mentors, women that are ahead of me on their journey and have so much wisdom to share. Mom's class is all about being encouraged and equipped for the journey of motherhood with the Bible and a personal relationship with God as the ultimate foundation. I found a place where I could be real and share my personal struggles as I grow into more of the woman that I know I've been created to be. I've found a place where I am known and belong.

Do you have a place where you feel connected and supported in the season of life you're in? I'd love to know how you found it - do share!


(some of the women in my small group on our last day of Mom's class, 2010...I love my small group!)

2 Comments:

At September 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Shauna Quintero said...

Is that Theresa Irby??? I KNOW HER!!!!!

 
At September 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I think I see some familiar faces in there. :)

It's great that you have this awesome network of friends.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home